Why I Don't Have Writer Friends

In a Twitter DM from a screenwriter who interacted with me regularly:
Hi, I do NOT want you to take this the wrong way but I have to block you. I love your enthusiasm for what I tweet but it's the only way ...

 Yes. I was blocked for being enthusiastic and supportive of the screenwriter's career.

And last night, a fellow writing circle member contacted me via Facebook Chat.  Our circle has been defunct over six months and I have not seen said member about that long.  We haven't chatted in months.
Writing Group Person:  I know how that goes. Have you been writing?
Me:  Yes.  I'm on chapter six of my second draft of my novel.  Soandso has read chapter one and I sent her chapter two last week.  I'm not using much from my first draft because I changed the beginning of my book. I cut the first six chapters out of my plot and had to work my plot points in the rest of the book.
WGP: sounds like a lot of work.

 I have thought about WGP's last comment a long time and I don't think WGP could have said anything more annoying to me.  I can't speak for other writers, but writing is hard.  It is a lot of work.  My novel isn't anything like writing fanfiction; I'm embracing the second draft and working hard to improve it.  Maybe after draft three or draft four, I might send it to an agent.  However, I wouldn't insult or waste an agent's time without putting some of my own time into it.

However, the demon monkeys in the back of my head are laughing at me now, saying I'm working too hard.  Maybe I am an idiot.

Comments

  1. As if writing a novel should be so easy, and the fact you're doing a lot of work (in WGP's eyes, not mine) means you're not doing something right. I think it's a good sign that you are thinking it through, thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As if writing a novel should be so easy, and the fact you're doing a lot of work (in WGP's eyes, not mine) means you're not doing something right. I think it's a good sign that you are thinking it through, thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first thought was that it wasn't work. Okay, maybe it is, but it was the right work. It was what I had to do to make my novel better. I did it because I wasn't happy with the way things were going and I knew I would give up soon. Now, I'm up to Chapter Six on the re-write and feeling positive (most days) about my novel. It was just a weird thing to say.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts